First Sideways – Now Vertical

11pickett1main.jpg

Widely known as author of the novel, Sideways, which of course spawned the hit movie of the same name, screenwriter Rex Pickett has now created a sequel, appropriately named, Vertical. Yes, it’s another wine-related road trip book involving Miles and Jack. This time, however, they’re traveling to Oregon’s Willamette Valley to swirl some more Pinot Noir, and to…well, you’re going to have to read the book, because there’s more.

Join us, as we talk with Rex about the genesis of his character Miles, both the book and movie versions of Sideways, and of course his new book, Vertical. We may even delve into the trials and tribulations of being a screenwriter in Los Angeles, and maybe get a ‘sideways’ glance at the publication business. You never know.

Sponsor: West Auctions – Fine Wine Auction: www.westauction.com

(46:56 min 33MB)

16 Responses to “First Sideways – Now Vertical”

1. 1 Bob Davis Feb 21st, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I liked the interview. But jingoistic flag pole?

2. 2 Bob Davis Feb 22nd, 2011 at 10:57 am

Also per your sponsor this show, West Auctions. I checked out the auction and there are some pretty interesting (to say the least) wines being auctioned as well as “what drugs was that guy on when he bought those?” wines. Only 2 days to big and it may get interesting. You’ll probably recognize my name on some bids.

3. 3 Adam Wallstein Feb 24th, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Wow, this guy is super arrogant. Too bad, since I loved the flick.

4. 4 @KarlSummerville Feb 25th, 2011 at 9:12 am

Interesting post. Thanks! Btw, have you guys heard of lovethis? I’ve started using it to get wine recommendations, pretty useful. Check out my tasting notes and I’d be interested to connect with you guys to find some interesting labels and new producers. Here’s a link to my profile: http://ow.ly/42A6l. Keep up the great blog, how do I subscribe?

5. 5 Michael P Feb 26th, 2011 at 7:36 am

Agreed, this guy is really arrogant. I loved the movie, but his attitude sours all that.

6. 6 GrapeRadio Bunch Feb 28th, 2011 at 7:04 am

Bob, Brian went crazy and bid on a bunch of stuff. I think he got a killer deal on some Araujo.

7. 7 Bob Davis Feb 28th, 2011 at 7:18 am

Jay,
    My bids only lasted a few hours. I’m pretty much on self-imposed wine probation and was willing to buy some for a steal. I was surprised that some of the Bordeaux wines got as high as they did considering there was no way to evaluate storage or fill.
    BD

8. 8 Wine2Three Apr 25th, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Great interview, fun to hear the backstory of one of my favorite movies! Will look for “Vertical.” I toured through Los Olivos & Santa Barbara wine country & actually stayed at the Windmill Inn & ate at the Hitching Post, all in homage to Sideways! Fun to hear from the author!

9. 9 Beverly Sep 14th, 2011 at 8:35 am

Loved listening to the interview. I’ve seen Sideways and read the book Vertical and met Rex in CDM at the Wine Gallery with Learn About Wine. I’ve spread the word about his book and all my friends went out and got the book and my wine tasting friend took it on her solo road trip from Long Beach to Mono Lake she Loved it. Now we all can’t wait for the movie to come out.

10. 10 Richard Sep 27th, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Will look out for Vertical, I really enjoyed Sideways …

11. 11 Ellen Gracie Oct 26th, 2011 at 6:09 am

I’m not sure what was going through my mind when I decided to buy the book after having seen and loved the movie. I guess at worst I thought I could read the stuff specifically about wine and continue sifting through it to see if I could find any false notes.

12. 12 Bernard Jan 11th, 2012 at 12:59 pm

It seems to have a consistent theme that the book is better than the movie.

13. 13 http://www.justthejob.co.za Oct 5th, 2012 at 1:56 am

I’d forgotten I ever saw this movie. I can’t remember much about it other than that it was about two guys ‘angsting’ about their lives and that wine was involved, but I do remember enjoying the film, so I’ll probably enjoy reading Pickett’s new book. I’m not much of a wine fundi in spite of having taken a wine-tasting course in the dim and distant past – I prefer fortified wines and spirits – but that doesn’t mean I’m not interested in reading about the stuff. I don’t think I’m going to watch the interview, though, since Michael P says the author is really arrogant – it might put me off.

1. 1 Terroirist » Blog Archive » Daily Wine News: 2007 Napa Cabs pingback on Mar 1st, 2011 at 5:05 am
  2. 2 Grape Radio Interviews Author Rex Pickett » Wine wine wine... pingback on Aug 1st, 2011 at 10:18 am
  3. 3 First Sideways ? Now Vertical « deitetere pingback on Apr 7th, 2012 at 3:34 am