Wines of the West Sonoma Coast

13westsonoma1main.jpg

Situated along the California coastline, the vast Sonoma Coast AVA extends from the Sonoma County border with Napa in Carneros bordering on San Pablo Bay to Marin County and the Pacific Ocean 30 miles to the West, progressing north through Sonoma County and reaching its most northern limits at the Mendocino County border. It overlaps five other Sonoma County AVAs including the Sonoma part of Carneros, a sliver of Sonoma Valley, the western part of Chalk Hill, all of Green Valley, and most of the Russian River Valley.

The West Sonoma Coast unofficial subdivision extends roughly from Jenner in the South where the Russian River empties into the Pacific Ocean to Annapolis in the North and from the beaches to 5 to 12 miles inland including the first three ridges of the Coastal Range of mountains, extending more easterly in the South to include Freestone, Occidental, Green Valley and Sebastopol Hills where the coastal ridges flatten out.

Join us as we talk about this unique area and its wines. In fact, open a bottle of Peay, Failla, Hirsch, Littorai, Freestone, Freeman, or Drew and join us in a glass!

For more info:
West Sonoma Coast: www.westsonomacoast.com/

Sponsor: Wine Berserkers: www.wineberserkers.com

(56:12 min 51.5 MB)

13westSCmap.jpg

13wowChard.jpg

13wowPN1.jpg

13wowPN2.jpg

7 Responses to “Wines of the West Sonoma Coast”

1. 1 Bob Jul 25th, 2013 at 4:29 pm

It’s not so much the tasting, but Rusty’s moans, that are particularly disconcerting to hear…

2. 2 Rusty Gaffney Jul 26th, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Hello Bob

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn’t the only one fawning over some of the wines. We wanted to avoid that and any judging of the wines but got carried away at times. Will try to do better next time.

3. 3 Jay Selman Jul 26th, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Bob, This format was an experiment for us. Personally I had mixed reactions but overall I liked it. This format requires a tremendous amount of post-editing so it’s good to hear this kind of feedback to help us decide whether try again and how to make it better. Lastly, I hope I never lose my tendency to get carried away. I love wine.

4. 4 Bob Jul 28th, 2013 at 9:02 pm

It’s all good! I was dining in Healdsburg when I listened to it, while I have some of the bottles you all tasted stashed away, it made me wish I had them with me right then. So let’s say I was 40% disconcerted and 60% jealous?

5. 5 The Drunken Cyclist Aug 16th, 2013 at 5:30 am

Hey guys—great show! I am a big fan of the West Sonoma Coast and have made the drive up to Hirsch and Flowers as well as visiting Freeman and Littorai on several occasions. As to Jay’s direct question: the aeration did not come across with me and I really did not mind Rusty’s “moans” other than it made me jealous since I was not invited to the tasting!

6. 6 Todd Hansen Sep 18th, 2013 at 8:40 am

Just listened and really enjoyed this show. Also a big fan of West Sonoma Coast – both the wines and the people. Didn’t really notice any slurping, spitting (or moans) – (note- I was on listening on my tractor, getting in a preharvest mow, trying to improve airflow and keep humidity down in the vines, so not exactly hi-fidelity). The talk of food pairings had me losing concentration … almost clipped a vine. Enjoyed the format and hope it shows up again in the mix. Of course, I’ve been a listener from day one, so I feel like I know all of you. Can’t wait to hear Rusty’s report on working harvest this year.

7. 7 GrapeRadio Bunch Sep 18th, 2013 at 9:49 am

Hey Todd,

Thanks for being a long-time listener. As Jay mentioned, this was sort of a trial format for us. But, given the feedback, we’ll definitely try to do it more often in the future.

Eric